Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mimetite: Poisonous Contents

I had known about mimetite for quite some time before I came to own a piece of it and even after I acquired one it was a while before I learned much about it. I hope you will enjoy today’s post, which shares what I have learned about the mineral mimetite.
I have discovered that mimetite gets its name from the Greek word for ‘imitator’ because it resembles another mineral called pyromorphite. It is formed when galena and other lead-bearing minerals are exposed to the air and alter over time, so it is not surprising that it often occurs with galena and anglesite.
My mimetite specimen is yellow, but I’ve learned that the mineral can also be brown or green in color. Perfect mimetite crystals are slender hexagonal prisms, but they are very rare. Mimetite is usually found as cauliflower-shaped crusts or growing in a botryoidal habit (masses shaped like bunches of grapes) Mimetite crystals can also be barrel-shaped in which case they are called ‘campylite’.
I have not read anything that would suggest mimetite is especially hazardous, but I would advise the collector to use caution when handling the mineral as it contains lead and arsenic in its chemical makeup.
Mimetite is found in such places as: the Czech Republic, Germany, as well as in the Mexican states of Durango, Sonora and Chihuahua. It is also found in Arizona.
I had a lot of fun learning about mimetite and I hope that you have, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment