Saturday, October 6, 2012

Rock-Collection Labeling Made Easy

When I posted my piece on rock collecting for kids I had to leave this part out because if I hadn't the article would have been far too long. Since it is really a piece of my previous post it is still geered toward those who want to introduce the hobby to their kids, but please don't let that bother you. This post can be useful to anyone who is starting a rock collection and would like to find an easy way to label it.

Once your children identify their specimens they can label them. They can make labels by cutting sections of index cards and writing all of the information that they want on them. My labels usually include: the name of the specimen, the name of the specific site where I found it, the name of the county where the site is located, the nearest city to that site, and the state in which that city sits—in that order. For example, your child’s label might look something like this:

Jasper
Rockyland Ridge Mine
Custer County
Custer
South Dakota

What if the site where your kids found their rocks is a farm or even your driveway? You can label the sight after the name of the farm such as, “Maple Creek Dairy Farm,” or “Farmer John’s Sheep Farm,” or in the case of your driveway you can label it as “Smith Family Driveway,” or “Smith Site.”

If some of that information is missing then your kids can just omit it from the label. Some of my labels mention only the name of the mineral and the state where I found it. A few only mention the mineral's name. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment