Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sharing Your Collection With Others: One of the Best Uses For a Rock Collection

     Yesterday I had the opportunity to share my rock collection with others. I always love to show the minerals I’ve collected to other people and hopefully foster an interest concerning the subject in some of them.
     I brought my collection to a home schooling co-op and talked about it as well as some interesting facts about minerals like: the sources of a mineral’s color, the meanings behind mineral names, and much more. I also shared a few tips about mineral identification like the streak test and the Mohs’ scale. After my little talk ended everyone simply looked at my collection a bit and I answered a few questions. Then it was my turn to have a look at their collections and I must say that the students had some pretty nice specimens! I did my best to identify some of the minerals that they found and for the most part I could tell what sort of minerals they had, but there were some samples that I simply could not identify. Everything must have gone well because I had one student thank me for coming three times! What an honor!
     To all of the collectors out there I say that if you ever get a chance to show your minerals to other people you should do it. It provides a chance to get other people interested in the hobby and best of all it can offer us an opportunity to thank the Lord for blessing us with our fine minerals by using them to bless others!

No comments:

Post a Comment